MEGA does things differently.
The core of its business model is all about privacy and safe online file storage. With free end-to-end encryption for all, the service immediately stands out. But is there more to it?
In this MEGA review, we’ll find out!
MEGA Review: Your Comprehensive Guide
Is MEGA the best personal cloud storage for you? To find out, let’s look at the platform’s advantages and disadvantages:
The unique perks of using MEGA’s cloud storage service include:
- Up to 50GB of free storage
- End-to-end encryption for all users
- Transparency and open-source access to their code
- Secure and private file sharing
- Encrypted chat and audio/video calls
- Available for all major devices and operating systems
- MEGAbird extension to automatically share large files
- MEGAcmd application to access advanced features
But, MEGA does have some limitations:
- Only 15GB of lifetime free storage
- Subpar customer service
- No online file editing
You can access MEGA through the browser extension only, or download MEGA Sync for your PC. The MEGA desktop app is safe and convenient since it works as a virtual file drive.
You can run MEGA Sync on:
- Windows XP (with SP3 installed); Server 2003 or higher; Windows Vista; Windows 7 and higher
- macOS 10.9 and higher
- Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, OpenSUSE, Mint, and others)
You can find the MEGA app for:
- Windows Phone
The MEGA storage app is also on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app store for all devices with Windows 10.
What Is MEGA
With over 182 million registered users and 10+ million using it daily, MEGA is one of the most popular online storage services. They offer up to 50 GB of free space, zero-knowledge encryption for all users, and unique functionality and integrations. Overall, MEGA is one of the strongest contenders for the best cloud storage on the market. Try it free today!
Ease of Use
MEGA file hosting is incredibly user-friendly. The browser extension, the desktop app, as well as the mobile applications have a very slick and intuitive design. Finding your way, even as a first-time user, is a breeze.
MEGA Cloud Service Features
MEGA is known for its commitment to privacy and file safety. But, this is just one of the perks that make it a contender for the best online storage spot! Here are its most notable features:
End-To-End Encryption for All
MEGA encrypts all of your information with a key derived from your password. The platform doesn’t store your password, meaning that:
- MEGA can’t access your files.
- If you lose your password, you lose your information.
So, they highly recommend using a password manager and storing your Recovery key in a safe location.
The user-controlled MEGA encryption system is available for all accounts, both premium and free. Anyone can look at the platform’s source code or security white paper to make sure they deliver on the zero-knowledge encryption promise.
Secure File Sharing
Sharing MEGA files is effortless. More importantly, it’s one more aspect where the platform keeps its commitment to security.
You can share a single file with MEGA users and non-users.
The other person needs both the file’s URL and the key to gain access to the information. If you’re sending the link over plain email (or another insecure channel), uncheck “File key” in the sharing popup. Then, send the secret key over a secure messaging service – maybe even MEGA’s encrypted chat.
Encrypted Messaging and Calls
Take advantage of MEGA’s encryption to communicate securely with your colleagues, friends, and family. The fully encrypted system features text messages, audio and video calls, and a group messaging function. You can also share files directly into the group, and they’ll appear in your contact’s account.
With zero-knowledge encryption, MEGA makes sure only the people in the conversation can decrypt the content. Not even the platform will have access to your communications.
Automatic Phone Backup (And More)
The MEGA app stands out as one of the handiest cloud storage apps. Here’s why:
- Automatic photo & video upload for backup
- Built-in media player to stream audio and video directly from the cloud
- Saving files locally (from within the app) to access when you don’t have Internet access.
For more security-conscious users, the mobile app also includes the MEGAchat feature.
MEGA App Integrations
The platform has several exciting integrations that improve functionality and (frankly) make your life easier.
With the MEGAbird extension for Thunderbird, you can automatically upload files to your MEGA account. The extension replaces the attachment with a MEGA link, helping you share your large files securely.
The MEGA browser extensions (for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge) offer safe auto-uploads. It’s also faster to use them than the web app because MEGA’s source code is loaded from the extension itself. Without additional integrity verification, you’ll access your MEGA account quicker, without compromising on security.
MEGAcmd is a command-line tool available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. WebDAV support, FTP server access, and rich commands help you take advantage of MEGA’s advanced functionality. MEGAcmd packages are also available for QNAP and Synology NAS devices.
Is MEGA Safe?
MEGA goes above and beyond to ensure security. It is built around end-to-end encryption and provides it to all users at no extra cost.
To add a layer of security, you can now activate two-factor authentication. While MEGA doesn’t have an authenticator app of its own, it integrates smoothly with third-party options like Authy, Duo Mobile, or Google Authenticator.
The MEGA app is safe, and it can protect your memories by automatically saving them to the cloud. MEGA backup reviews are overwhelmingly positive, proving it’s a reliable online storage option.
Is MEGA trustworthy?
I registered through MEGA.nz for this review, and the process was quick and painless. You can also sign up through the MEGA app. Come up with a username, add a password, confirm your email, the usual thing.
Setting up the desktop application took me only a few minutes more. I loved that they didn’t push MEGA Sync or any of the premium plans.
The only thing lacking (for privacy reasons) is joining with your Facebook or Google credentials.
The high-rated MEGA storage app is available for Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone. It’s also on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) for Windows 10 devices.
When I ran it on my Android, I was pleasantly surprised by how fast, sleek, and handy it was. There is a media streaming option within the app – the built-in player decrypts and plays media on-the-fly.
But, most importantly, it’s an excellent backup service. MEGA will automatically upload your photos and videos to the cloud. For me, the backup was quick, and I could immediately access my files across platforms.
MEGA Upload & Download Speed
MEGA doesn’t set a speed limit, always processing file transfers at the maximum possible speed. Both premium and free accounts enjoy the same quick MEGA upload and downloads.
The platform does set a transfer quota, limiting the total volume of data transferred between you and the server each month. Unlike the transfer speed, this quota varies.
MEGA Plans & Pricing
Free accounts can enjoy up to 50GB by inviting friends. But careful:
Only 15GB is free for a lifetime. These are your account base quota.
The remaining 35GB come as bonuses for different ‘achievements.’ Their validity varies between 30 and 365 days. You unlock 10GB of year-long free storage when you invite friends. To redeem them, they have to make a MEGA account and install either MEGA Sync or the MEGA mobile app.
MEGA can also delete files on your free space if your account becomes inactive.
To get more space and make sure your files are safe, opt for a MEGA pro account. Here is how the MEGA.NZ pricing scheme works:
Pro-Lite for $5.60
The lowest-tier MEGA plan comes with 200GB of storage and 1TB for file transfer every month. The Pro-Lite is perfect if you don’t have vast volumes of computer data for storage, but you still want to keep your files safe and accessible throughout multiple platforms.
Pro I for $11.20
If you run out of space, the Pro I upgrades you to 1TB of space and a 2TB transfer quota. You get x5 more space for just $5.60 extra!
Pro II for $22.41
For even more cloud desktop storage space, this plan comes with 4TB of storage and 8TB for transfer. Enough space for 26 million document pages or over 2000 hours of HD video!
Pro III for $33.63
Finally, the final tier of MEGA cloud storage plans will get you a whopping 8TB of storage and a 16TB transfer quota. It’s one of the best personal cloud storage services in terms of space.
But, if you’re a business owner, consider MEGA’s enterprise plan.
MEGA Business for $11/user
The business solution is the only MEGA plan with unlimited download, upload, and storage quota. For as little as $33/month (you have to register at least three users,) you get benefits like:
- Unlimited storage and transfers
- User management tools
- Easy access and transfer between accounts
And, suppliers can send you files without having to sign up. All that, along with the general benefits of using MEGA – end-to-end encryption, extensive integrations, and secure chat and messages.
MEGA client support is only via email. To contact them, you can either write an email or use the built-in contact form. The MEGA contact emails are divided by the type of issue:
- [email protected] for general support
- [email protected] for copyright-related questions
- [email protected] for abusive content
- [email protected] for questions about the MEGA privacy and data policy
- [email protected] to report bugs
Within the help center, you can also find a contact form and make your inquiry there.
Since so many MEGA reviews point out the poor customer service, I got in touch with MEGA to see if they were right. I contacted customer support through both options – the form and directly through email. I asked:
- I know files are encrypted, so not even your server can see them. Does this mean I can store movies downloaded from torrent sites on your platform?
- I noticed the upload speed on my PC is getting slow. How can I improve it?
MEGA support cited both of my messages in their response. It took them three days from the time I sent my first communication.
They answered the first question indirectly – by mentioning MEGA doesn’t condone copyright infringement, but they can’t see my files. But, the support team didn’t even touch on the second one.
So, while I realize these weren’t “high-priority” issues for MEGA, I’m still unimpressed with the customer service quality.
MEGA Personal Reviews Around the Web
MEGA receives overwhelmingly positive user opinions, and it’s easily one of the best cloud storage services, according to Reddit. Most reviewers praise their free zero-knowledge encryption and useful integrations. But, the misleading MEGA cloud promise of 50GB free space did put some people off. MEGA’s limited transfers are another pain point for reviewers. Finally, MEGA reviews also pointed out that there are cheaper cloud storage options, though they don’t offer the same privacy and functionality.
MEGA Review Verdict
MEGA provides military-level security for free and paid users alike. With a generous free encrypted space offer and additional features and integrations, MEGA is one of the best cloud storage services in 2020. While I don’t love the poor customer support, otherwise MEGA gets the seal of approval.
How does the MEGA cloud storage offer stack up to competitors? Let’s find out!
MEGA Vs. Google Drive
Both services come with 15GB of free cloud space. Google Drive has better integrations but doesn’t offer free end-to-end encryption.
MEGA Vs. Dropbox
Dropbox only gives you 2GB of free storage (up to 18GB with referrals). Plus, they don’t have end-to-end encryption out of the box.
MEGA Vs. pCloud
While pCloud’s premium plans are cheaper and more flexible than the MEGA price structure, you still have to pay extra for end-to-end encryption. As far as functions and integrations go, both cloud services are relatively similar. pCloud also offers 15GB of lifetime free storage, and you can build that up through referrals but doesn’t have MEGA’s free download limit.
MEGA Vs. Sync
Both MEGA and Sync are built around user-controlled encryption. But, as far as functionality goes, Sync is far behind MEGA. And, they only give you 5GB of free storage.
Commonly Asked Questions about MEGA
These are the answers to the most common MEGA-related questions:
Is MEGA Legit?
- With over 10M daily users (and 183M+ accounts), MEGA is the leading user-encrypted cloud service on the market. They are one of the few cloud storage services with free end-to-end encryption. Anyone on the Internet can make sure MEGA is legitimate since they share their source code on GitHub.
Is MEGA.NZ Encrypted?
- Yes, MEGA is built around user-controlled end-to-end encryption. Whether you’re a free or premium user, your files are encrypted before they reach the server. MEGA doesn’t have access to your information since they don’t store passwords, and only encrypted data reaches their servers.
How Many GB Does MEGA Offer?
- The MEGA free cloud storage offer gives you 15GB of lifetime free space. Then, you can unlock additional GB through MEGA achievements. MEGA free account users can get up to 50GB of space, but 35GB is only temporary. Premium MEGA cloud storage plans start at $5.60/month for 200GB of storage. The highest tier plans give you up to 8TB of space.
How to Create then Send a File on MEGA?
- Upload the file by drag-and-drop or the “File Upload” button on the right-hand corner (in the web application). You can also upload files from the MEGA app on your phone.
To share it:
- In the web application, right-click the file and select “Get link.” You can export the link with or without the key.
- On the app, click the three dots next to the file name and select “Share.” Tap “Get Link” and then share the URL with the recipient.
You can also share files directly to your contacts – just click “Send to contact,” and MEGA will send the file through their secure chat.
How to Get Past the MEGA Download Limit?
- MEGA gives free users a daily limit on downloads. According to some MEGA reviews, you can bypass that by changing your IP through a VPN service. To protect your privacy, opt for a paid VPN that doesn’t track your activity. NordVPN is a solid choice. But, the IP-changing trick doesn’t work for all users. Let’s say you’re downloading a single large file (say 20GB) and hit the cap with your original IP. You exit MEGA and turn on your VPN. The trouble is, your download will restart, and you’ll hit the MEGA transfer limit again. The only way to truly increase your transfer quota on MEGA is upgrading to MEGA premium.
What is MEGA.nz?
- MEGA is a computer data storage service that focuses on privacy through end-to-end encryption for all users. You can access the MEGA cloud through their website, mobile apps, or browser extensions. Create a MEGA account in minutes by entering an email and password. Then, confirm your email to activate the account.
- With a Mega free account, you get 15GB of lifetime free space. Unlock an additional 35GB through MEGA achievements:
- Your registration bonus gets your MEGA space up to 50GB, but it only lasts 30 days.
- Install MEGAsync to get 20GB of storage and 40GB of transfer space for 180 days.
- The MEGA app gives you 15 GB of storage and 30 GB of transfer quota for 180 days.
- Inviting a friend comes with 10 GB of free space and 20 GB for file transfer, valid for 365 days.
How Does MEGA Work?
- MEGA file upload is available in the web application, mobile app, or with their automatic sync functionality. Once your documents and folders are on the cloud, you can access them through different devices and share them with other users. You can also use MEGA’s encrypted chat feature, install the MEGAbird extension to your email client, and a lot more.
- The platform is user-friendly and intuitive. But, if you do need help, check out the knowledge base for detailed instructions.
MEGA Review: Final Thoughts
With their commitment to privacy and distinctive features like encrypted conversations, extensions, and integrations, as well as generous free storage space, MEGA stands out as well-rounded, secure cloud storage for personal and business needs.
Try it for free today!