Sync.com makes file synchronization effortless. With zero-knowledge encryption, no third-party access, and additional security measures, it’s one of our favorite secure cloud storage platforms.
But is it the right choice for you?
In this Sync.com review, we take a comprehensive look to help you find out everything you need to know.
Sync.com Pros & Cons
Let’s compare the pros and cons of the Sync cloud.
The main perks of using Sync.com include:
- Advanced security with end-to-end encryption for all
- Fast and easy syncing
- 365-day file history and rewind
- Unlimited file size
- Safe sharing and collaboration
- Centralized administration (for teams)
- Competitive pricing
- Efficient in-house support
But, the Sync cloud storage still has some downsides:
- No Linux support
- Annual billing only
Access your files, share, and collaborate through the Sync.com desktop app or web client.
The Sync.com download is available for:
- macOS 10.9 or higher
- Windows 7,8, and 10
There is also a legacy installer for Windows XP and macOS 10.6 through 10.8. Sync.com isn’t available for Linux, but you can still access your files from the web application.
Manage your files from a mobile device with the Sync.com app for Android or iOS.
What Is Sync.com Good for?
Trusted by over 750,000 users, Sync.com lets you bring precious memories anywhere. With built-in zero-knowledge encryption, the platform is one of the best secure cloud storage options. Keep your files safe and synced across devices or effortlessly share and collaborate with others.
Now let’s dive deeper into this Sync.com review:
Ease of use
Getting started with Sync.com doesn’t take longer than 10 minutes.
Creating an account gives you 5GB of file storage that doesn’t expire. The system prompts you to get the Sync.com desktop app and guides you through the installation process. You can also drag and drop files into the web client.
The whole setup, file upload, and synchronization process is fast and effortless.
Sync.com emphasizes security but also features handy features for personal and business use alike:
Advanced File Versioning
One of Sync’s most useful functions is file versioning. Free users can reverse file changes for 30 days, while premium accounts enjoy 365-day file versioning and backup. With account rewind, you can protect yourself from ransomware by shifting your data to an earlier version.
And, only the most recent file version counts against your storage allowance. You can backup as many files as you want without worrying about running out of space.
Share file and folder access, without compromising security. Sync.com includes share controls like read-only (or preview-only) access, password protected sharing, expiry dates, and download limits.
If you lose one of your devices, you can revoke access to your data with a remote device lockout. You can also withdraw shared access at any time.
Privacy Protection Compliance
If your business deals with sensitive data, you’ll be happy to learn Sync.com is the perfect cloud solution. The platform is compliant with:
- HIPAA and similar regulations related to personal healthcare information (PHI)
- GDPR, which applies to European and UK user data alike
- PIPEDA, Canada’s federal law on personal data privacy for the private sector.
Unlike other cloud storage providers (like Google Drive or OneDrive,) the Sync.com API hasn’t been published. The API allows third-party apps to integrate easily with the platform.
So, why doesn’t Sync publish it? Because they’re committed to preventing third-party access. Without a published API, no external companies can see or interact with your data. This extra layer of security ensures your information stays safe and private.
That said, Sync still offers some useful integrations. You can upload files directly from your Drive account from both mobile and desktop. Sync also has full support for all Microsoft Office formats, and virtually all photo formats. You can use it to store Adobe PDF and PSD files, too.
When it comes to data safety and privacy, Sync.com is one of the best cloud storage options. Built around zero-knowledge encryption, the platform secures your information and doesn’t store your keys. This means Sync.com can’t access your files, even if it were served a government order.
Sync.com encryption uses 2048-bit RSA keys, and TLS/SSL encrypted channel transfer for all communications. The Sync cloud storage itself uses AES-256 encryption to protect data from potential attackers.
But, since Sync.com doesn’t have your key, forgetting your password means losing access to all encrypted files. To prevent that, you can disable end-to-end encryption and opt for other security features (like two-factor authentication).
Sync.com Login and Setup
Installing Sync.com is quick and effortless. The website recognizes your platform and recommends the installer for you. I tested the Sync.com Windows 10 download, and I was happy with both the speed and ease of installation/setup. Even a beginner can get started with Sync.com in under ten minutes.
With the mobile app, you can access your synced files, backup photos and videos, send large files, and collaborate on shared folders.
The Sync.com Android app installed and ran smoothly on my device. I was happy to discover I could upload files directly from Drive and synchronize the photos and videos on my phone.
To view and edit files, though, I had to download them. This is expected if your data is secured with end-to-end encryption, but it could slow you down.
The Sync.com iOS app shares the same functionality and is generally well-liked by reviewers.
Sync.com Upload & Download Speed
Sync doesn’t restrict your speed, regardless of what plan you’re using. But, Sync.com will never be a speed champion. When you use end-to-end encryption, it takes some time for files to be secured. The maximum transfer speed with Sync.com is 40 Megabits per second.
You’re not likely to notice the difference in smaller files. Uploading a 500MB file only took a couple of minutes, and it was automatically accessible across devices. When I tested it with larger files, Sync.com performed admirably, though it’s not the fastest cloud storage I’ve used.
Sync.com Pricing Plans
All Sync.com plans come with free end-to-end encryption and support across devices. Pro accounts not only expand your space, but they also give you additional functionality. Here’s how account perks differ:
Sync.com Free Account
The free starter account gives you 5GB of Sync cloud storage. Since it’s not a free trial, the platform doesn’t ask for a credit card or give you a time limit. You can earn up to 25GB of space by referring others. Free accounts enjoy essential Sync.com features like file versioning, vault storage, secure sharing, and collaboration tools. This makes Sync.com one of the best free file sync software platforms in 2020.
Sync Pro Solo
If you run out of space, opt for a Sync Pro Solo plan. They come at three tiers:
- Basic ($8 per month; $96 per year), with 2TB of storage
- Standard ($12 per month; $120 per year), with 3TB of storage
- Plus ($15 per month; $180 per year), with 4TB of storage
Pro accounts get 365-day file history and recovery, while the free plan only gives you 30 days.
Both individual free and pro users have a device limit. You can connect up to five devices (computers, phones, or tablets) to your account.
If you’re using Sync.com for business, go for the “Pro Teams” plans:
Sync Pro Teams
The corporate Pro plans include:
- Standard ($5 per user, per month), with 1TB of space for every user.
- Plus ($8 per user, per month), with 4TB of space for every user.
- Advanced ($15 per user, per month), with 10TB of space for every user.
To start a team account, you need at least two users. The Standard and Plus plans are limited to 100 users. For larger companies, the Advanced subscription lets you create up to 1000 individual user profiles.
Sync Pro Teams accounts come with an administration toolset. You can monitor activity, organize files, and manage passwords from the super-user administrator account. The Sync.com manager console is easy to use, and it lets you centralize all relevant company documents and the way they’re shared and worked on.
Pro subscriptions for individual and business users alike are billed annually, which affects your initial investment.
If you have any questions or technical issues, you can get in touch with the Sync team through a contact form. While I was researching for this Sync.com review, I reached out to them twice. Both times I contacted customer support from a free account, and they were responsive and quick at answering the question.
Pro accounts have priority email support.
You can also consult the Sync.com help center for detailed support articles, answering common questions. The platform promises 99.9% SLA uptime, meaning you’re unlikely to see Sync.com down. But, you can consult the status of all systems in real-time on the Sync website.
Sync.com User Reviews
Users have named Sync one of the best personal cloud storage services, praising their commitment to privacy, competitive pricing, and ease-of-use. The Sync.com review consensus on Reddit is overwhelmingly positive, especially when it comes to the free-for-all zero-knowledge encryption. Overall, Sync is one of the Internet’s favorite cloud storage options.
Disclaimer: Our Sync.com review is updated for 2020. Older reviews mention issues like syncing one folder only and cite different storage allowances for profiles. Since these Sync.com problems have since been resolved, make sure you check article dates, when researching the platform.
Built for privacy and optimized for easy file access, sync, and sharing, Sync.com is an excellent solution for business and individual users alike. They also have one of the best cloud storage deals when it comes to price to quality ratio. So, the verdict of our Sync.com review is clear:
Try it out today with a forever free account or invest in more storage with the premium plans!
File sync software reviews mention Sync.com among the best options on the market. But how does it stack up to other platforms?
pCloud vs. Sync
pCloud offers secure cloud storage services, making it a popular Sync.com alternative. The platform gives you more free storage, but you have to remain active (at least every three months) to prevent account termination. pCloud does offer end-to-end encryption, and they’re very transparent about their business. But, the advanced security will cost you – pCloud Crypto comes at an additional monthly fee.
Google Drive vs. Sync.com
Google Drive is a champion at integrations. The platform’s advanced functionality (as a part of the G-Suite environment) and pricing are hard to beat. But, Google Drive doesn’t have zero-knowledge encryption, nor do they protect your information from third-party access.
OneDrive vs. Sync.com
Much like Google Drive, OneDrive is built for integrations, not privacy. Since it lacks end-to-end encryption, OneDrive is far from the best option for sensitive information.
Sync.com vs. Dropbox
Both frequently featured on home cloud storage reviews, Sync and Dropbox have several key differences:
- Dropbox gives you less free storage, with free accounts only providing 2GB of space.
- Sync.com uses end-to-end encryption, while Dropbox doesn’t.
- The zero-knowledge encryption on Sync.com means file uploads will be slower, though you’re only likely to notice it for large files.
Overall, Sync.com is the better choice for privacy, though big players like Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox might offer more in terms of integrations.
Commonly Asked Questions about Sync.com
Here are the answers to the most common questions people ask about Sync.com
What Is Sync.com?
- Sync is a file syncing and cloud storage service optimized for privacy and ease-of-use. With Sync, you can use zero-knowledge encryption for all of your data at no extra cost.
- To get started, sign up on the website or download the app. The system guides you through the installation and setup process. Using Sync for file sharing across devices and teams is easy, even for a beginner.
How Do I Use Sync.com?
- Opening a Sync account grants you 5GB of forever free space. Use it to store, sync, and access important files, or backup your memories. To get the full experience, get the desktop client. The Sync.com download is available for Mac and Windows, and it lets you manage synced files across devices.
- If you run out of space, you can upgrade to a Pro account, which comes with up to 4TB of space for individual users. Premium accounts also enjoy additional functionality like 365-day file versioning and premium customer support.
- Sync business accounts allow you to create individual accounts for employees and manage them from a centralized admin panel. Corporate plans start at $5 per user per month.
How Does Sync.com Work?
- Sync.com is a hosted object storage service, built for file security. Your data is encrypted with an individual key (that even the company can’t access) and sent over a secure TLS/SSL channel. Servers are protected with 256-bit AES encryption to prevent attackers from reaching your data. Overall, a Sync.com security breach is near impossible, thanks to their multi-layer safety and privacy measures.
Is Sync.com Secure?
- Yes, Sync.com is one of the best online storage platforms in terms of security. Sync offers zero-knowledge encryption for all users, prevents third-party access to your data, and uses secure channels for all data transfers to and from the server.
Is Sync.com Offline?
- Yes, you can access Sync.com files when you’re not connected to the Internet. To make files and folders available for offline access, simply choose the “Sync Offline” function. You download the data on your device, making it accessible at any time. If you want to free up space, you can also easily unset the option. Free users can only download files, while premium users can set folders for offline use.
Where Is Sync.com based?
- Sync is based in Toronto, Canada. The company has all its support in-house to ensure quality, and they only use secure communications with data centers. Along with the end-to-end encryption, this ensures the files you store on Sync aren’t accessible to anyone, not even the government.
All of the research for this Sync.com review only proved that there are numerous reasons for it to be one of our favorite online file storage and file syncing software options. It’s an affordable, secure, and easy-to-use platform for business and personal use alike. Get started today with 5GB of free Sync cloud storage and see if it’s right for you!