Looking for ways to improve your writing experience?
WhiteSmoke is here to help.
It is a fully-featured spelling and grammar corrector which offers a lot, given its affordability. If you have ever used Grammarly and are looking for an alternative like it, WhiteSmoke may be a good option for you.
In this WhiteSmoke review, we will take a quick look at some of the pros, cons, and features that set WhiteSmoke apart from other grammar checkers and see how people who have used it rate it.
Pros & Cons
It makes sense to start with certain things that we liked and didn’t like about WhiteSmoke
- Good spelling and grammar checker
- Accurate plagiarism detector
- Works well with popular browsers and word processor
- Comes with an excellent mobile application
- Can be used in multiple devices
- Offers a variety of writing templates
- Easy to install apps
- Offers comprehensive video tutorials
- Quite affordable
- Comes up with false positive
- No free grammar check
- Only 10,000 characters limit
You can use WhiteSmoke for Mac and Windows, as well as Android and iOS. There is also a WhiteSmoke web application, so you won’t need to download the program to use it.
The platform is mobile-friendly, which means you can use WhiteSmoke anywhere, anytime, to correct mistakes in your text. A lot of times, you see a difference in quality in the desktop and the mobile version when using a software tool. However, with WhiteSmoke, this is not a problem.
What Is WhiteSmoke Best For?
WhiteSmoke is great for basically everyone – students, academics, authors, business writers, marketers, you name it.
We greatly recommend it for:
- Business people – to write business proposals, presentations, emails, and memos.
- Jobseekers – to edit their resume.
- Students – to check their essays, research papers, and formal grammar.
- Journalists and authors – for proofreading and ensuring there are zero mistakes on their blogs and social media.
- Medical and technical professionals – to ensure accuracy in reports, legal contracts, product descriptions.
- Non-native English speakers – for help with writing and translations.
How Do I Use WhiteSmoke?
To download WhiteSmoke, go to whitesmoke.com, purchase a plan, and then look at the instructions that WhiteSmoke emails to you. The email contains a download link and an activation key. As soon as you click on the download link, the app will start installing.
To run the program, you will need to place the WhiteSmoke activation key in the required field, and then you are good to go.
This process is a little different from other grammar checkers as they allow you to download the program straight from the website. However, once you get past this, it is all smooth sailing.
Then use the WhiteSmoke log in feature to sign in to the program. Then, press the “Check text” button to start the proofreading process.
WhiteSmoke uses a color-coding system to highlight each type of mistake in your document with a different color. Green is for grammar, red is for typos, and purple is for incorrect styling. The recommendations on how to improve the text are written right above the underlined content.
They also have a nice reporting system that gives you an outline of all the corrections required in the document.
Now, let’s talk about the features.
WhiteSmoke writing assistant has a lot of great features:
WhiteSmoke grammar checker has the capability to find all sorts of errors, including incomplete sentences, fragmented phrases, excessive passive voice, missing words, wrong pluralization, capitalization errors, object clauses, fused sentences, tense shifts, double negatives, etc. to ensure grammatical correctness.
Keep in mind that the WhiteSmoke online grammar checker sometimes shows false positives. However, it doesn’t happen often enough to detract from the positive experience of using this tool.
WhiteSmoke free punctuation checker does a good job of finding wrongly-placed or missing punctuation. Its robust tool can tell the difference between commas, periods, colon, semi-colon, dashes, em-dashes, and prompt them to use them in the correct manner by highlighting the words and then suggesting substitutes for them.
The WhiteSmoke spellchecker is a powerful feature that allows you to detect typos in your writing and give you the right spelling suggestions. It also does an alright job of detecting the difference between a product/ brand name and a spelling error. This means you don’t have to waste time dealing with misfires regarding company names, technical names, etc. It’s something that gave quite a lasting impression, while we were doing the tests for our WhiteSmoke review.
WhiteSmoke is also equipped with a style checker that shows you if your content is in the right writing style. It matches your writing style with dozens of samples and, if necessary, prompts you to fix things by switching tenses, checking for monotony, and improving the flow of the words.
Because there is so much content available online, it can be pretty challenging to write something that is 100% unique. WhiteSmoke offers a feature that ensures your writing is distinctive and original, and you do not land into legal or ethical problems when you publish it.
This is quitter a useful feature for non-English speaking students who want to use the correct grammar when writing.
WhiteSmoke also uses a translation system that can help you translate over 55 natural languages. In comparison, Grammarly offers English. The WhiteSmoke translator feature is also equipped with a complete dictionary and thesaurus, word by word usage examples, and has the capability to work with any text application.
Pre-made Writing Templates
WhiteSmoke also offers you 100+ pre-made writing templates so that you can create content more quickly and efficiently. Because of these templates, you don’t have to look anywhere to find out the correct format for a particular writing style.
Another feature that sets WhiteSmoke apart from other grammar checkers is that it offers a depository of comprehensive video tutorials on how to create quality content. The videos are displayed under categories, so you can easily navigate.
The tutorials are very useful for understanding how to write correct English for different types of content. Of course, you can find this information online, but with this WhiteSmoke grammar checker feature, you can find all writing help within a single platform.
WhiteSmoke works for all popular web browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, and even Microsoft Edge. It will work with any type of online textual content. You can freely use it to check for passive voice in Google Docs.
It will also offer excellent functions with LibreOffice and WordPress. There’s a WhiteSmoke Word integration too, which allows you to override the Microsoft Word spellchecker feature and replace it with its own better one.
There are three different types of WhiteSmoke price plans to choose from, which each come with two different billing periods (12 months or 3 years).
- WhiteSmoke Web Plan: The annual web pricing plan costs $10 per month and includes grammar, plagiarism, and spelling checkers.
- WhiteSmoke Premium Plan: The Premium plan costs $13.33 a month and will bill you for 12 months and, aside from the basic features, contain 1-click instant proofreading, integration with all writing platforms, and 1-computer license. A WhiteSmoke Premium review from a user claims that this may be the best-value option for most people.
- WhiteSmoke Business Plan: The annual business plan costs $22.99 per month and comes with all the features of the Premium plan plus 3-computer license, customer support by phone, and extended download warranty.
Unfortunately, though, WhiteSmoke free trial does not exist. This is one of the few drawbacks of the software since people cannot depend on a WhiteSmoke trial to check whether the product suits them or not before they end up buying it.
You can contact the WhiteSmoke support team online, through email, and through the phone. The phone number for sales help is +1(833)515-4147, and the team can be reached through it any time between 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday.
The email address is [email protected]. However, you may have to wait 24 to 48 hours to hear back from them.
WhiteSmoke Privacy and Security
WhiteSmoke takes its security and privacy seriously. The company takes good care of all the personal information users provide and will only share it with business partners or third-party vendors so that you may have access to key services.
WhiteSmoke security policy states it will never sell, share, rent, or trade your information for any other reason. The company has been awarded the TrustGuard Privacy Seal, which shows that it is transparent and accountable when it comes to your private information.
WhiteSmoke User Reviews
Like all online software, WhiteSmoke has both good and bad reviews.
Positive WhiteSmoke reviews claim that the program is very effective in checking grammar and typos for all sorts of documents, including emails and online submissions. Users have also recommended the program to others, and it has been received positively.
However, some WhiteSmoke reviews from users also claim the program sometimes misses mistakes. They also complain the customer support service is slow in resolving issues related to auto-renew and cancelation.
WhiteSmoke vs. Human Editor
Is WhiteSmoke better than humans? WhiteSmoke is touted as a good grammar checker online as it offers a feature-rich program that helps in fixing grammatical errors, typos, and plagiarism as well as provides extra features like multi-language translations and pre-made templates. However, there is no substitute for a human eye and intelligence. But the WhiteSmoke grammar checker is definitely effective in spotting mechanical mistakes, proving feedback that can help writers improve their content and help non-native speakers improve their English.
There are quite a few alternatives on the market. How do they compare to WhiteSmoke?
WhiteSmoke vs Grammarly
So, should you choose WhiteSmoke or Grammarly?
Pricing for WhiteSmoke online grammar checker starts at $10, which is lower than Grammarly that offers an $11.66 per month basic annual plan. WhiteSmoke also offers a translator for 52 languages, which is absent in Grammarly. However, users claim that Grammarly has higher accuracy than WhiteSmoke, and it offers an Upload file option. WhiteSmoke only has a 10,000 characters word limit as opposed to Grammarly, which lets you check 150,000 words.
WhiteSmoke vs Ginger
The next round is WhiteSmoke vs the Ginger grammar checker.
The Ginger grammar checker costs $12.48 per month if you use its basic annual plan. The pricing is even higher than Grammarly. As far as accuracy is concerned, Ginger and WhiteSmoke stand head to head. However, Ginger grammar checker does not offer a plagiarism checker or an office extension, both of which are present in WhiteSmoke.
Overall, WhiteSmoke is great. Not ideal, but great. Some users actually prefer WhiteSmoke over other options like the Ginger grammar checker. If you are looking for a checking tool for smaller pieces of writing like short essays, product descriptions, and memos, you can’t go wrong with WhiteSmoke. Plus, it is super-cheap. What more can you want?
Commonly Asked Questions About WhiteSmoke
What is WhiteSmoke?
- WhiteSmoke is a professional grammar checker that can help users enhance their writing. It is equipped with a full-featured package of tools that correct grammar and typos, look for plagiarism, fix writing style, and offer pre-made writing templates to ensure correct documentation.
When to use WhiteSmoke?
- You can use WhiteSmoke anywhere, anytime. You can use it when writing essays, research papers, journals, op-eds, resumes, cover letters, legal documents, finance writing, fiction and non-fiction, creative writing, business letters, newsletters, memos, and more. For more information, you can check out our WhiteSmoke review.
Which is better: WhiteSmoke or Grammarly?
- Both WhiteSmoke and Grammarly offer excellent grammar check and plagiarism detection. However, they both have some features that are superior to the other. For example, Grammalry provides an “Upload file” function, which is very helpful for users. This feature is absent in WhiteSmoke extension. Additionally, Grammarly can accommodate more words than WhiteSmoke.
- However, when it comes to multi-language translation, pre-made templates, and affordability, then WhiteSmoke takes the cake.
Is there anything better than Grammarly?
- Grammarly is indeed an excellent tool when it comes to grammar checking. However, it does have alternatives like WhiteSmoke, which can provide it with similar features. In fact, a WhiteSmoke review made by a user who uses both Grammarly and WhiteSmoke said the latter offers even more features than Grammarly does.