Published: May 13, 2022
The gaming industry has evolved in ways unimaginable, and it doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon.
If you’re interested in learning how many people play video games, how much time they spend doing so, which games are the most popular, etc., check out these relevant gaming statistics and facts right here!
Top Gaming Stats – Editor’s Choice
- The global market value is expected to reach $268 billion in 2025.
- Over 3% of gamers worldwide suffer from gaming disorders.
- 38% of gamers in the US are between 18 and 34.
- Mobile gaming is the most popular way of gaming.
- There will be 2.95 billion video gamers worldwide by the end of this year.
- 47% of all European video game players are women.
- Call of Duty: Vanguard was the most popular video game in the US.
- Around 66% of people play video games to unwind, relax, and decompress.
- Sony is the biggest video game company in the world.
- Around 220 games were physically released in the US in 2021.
Global Gaming Statistics
Below, we’ll discuss how much the gaming market is worth, just how many people play video games, and what the best game of all time is, according to the critics.
1. The global gaming market value is expected to reach $268 billion in 2025.
The video game market was worth $155 billion in 2020. Moreover, the estimated value for 2021 was $178 billion, while 2022 is supposed to bring $197 billion. Additionally, projections reveal that 2023 and 2024 will bring in $217 billion and $240 billion, respectively.
2. There will be 2.95 billion video gamers worldwide at the end of this year.
(Source: Finances Online)
Furthermore, Newzoo indicated that there were 2.69 billion global gamers in 2020. In fact, between 2015 and 2020, this number has steadily grown at a year-on-year increase of 5.6%.
3. PewDiePie is the most famous gaming YouTuber with 105 million subscribers.
YouTube gaming stats show that Felix Kjellberg (PewDiePie) has a “Bro Army” of over 100 million subscribers that mainly follow his horror-themed games.
Additionally, Spanish gamer Samuel de Luque, who goes by “Vegetta777,” has 33 million subscribers. Markiplier’s 26 million subscribers watch him play survival horror and action video games.
4. “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time” is considered the best game of all time.
(Source: Business Insider)
“Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2” and “Grand Theft Auto IV” were second and third on the list.
Rounding out the top ten are: “SoulCalibur,” “Super Mario Galaxy,” “Super Mario Galaxy 2”, “Red Dead Redemption 2”, “Grand Theft Auto V,” “The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” and “Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3.”.
5. Over 3% of gamers worldwide suffer from gaming disorders.
(Source: Game Quitters / World Health Organization)
Gaming disorder is when someone begins to choose video games over other life activities. Around 8.5% of gamers aged 8 to 18 suffer from this affliction, while up to 1% of the general population have symptoms associated with gaming disorders.
6. According to Mobile gaming trends, it’s the most popular form of gaming globally.
(Source: Mordor Intelligence)
Accessibility is mostly why more people prefer mobile gaming over PCs or consoles. Furthermore, the increased popularity of mobile games is also the result of technological advancements like AR, 5G, VR, and cloud gaming.
7. League of Legends is the most-watched title on Twitch.
Although Twitch is not exclusively for game-related content, it’s prevalent among gamers.
According to the latest gaming statistics, League of Legends reached 42.55 billion watch hours. Fortnite was second with 25.16 billion hours, while Counter-Strike: Global Offensive was third with 19 billion.
8. Sony is the biggest video game company in the world.
This claim is unsurprising considering the success of Sony’s PS5 console and that the company’s gaming revenue reached $24.9 billion in 2021. Other top video game companies are Microsoft, with gaming revenue of $16.3 billion, and Nintendo ($15.3 billion).
9. eSports had the most significant market revenue in China in 2021.
In fact, China’s eSports market revenue was a staggering $360 million in 2021. The US reported the second-largest eSports market revenue with $243 million, while Western Europe raked in $205 million.
US Gaming Trends
Here are some of the current trends happening in the US, given that it’s one of the countries with a huge number of gamers and titles.
10. Call of Duty: Vanguard was the most popular video game in the US in 2021.
Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War was also a best-seller in 2021 and tops the list of the 20 best video games to play in 2022. Other games on the list are Madden NFL 22, MLB The Show 21, and Resident Evil Village.
11. 80% of people say they play video games for mental stimulation.
(Source: ESA / Game Quitters)
Furthermore, 75% stated that games provide relaxation.
According to the benefits of gaming statistics, playing video games can improve problem-solving and decision-making skills and promote prosocial behavior and feelings of joy.
12. Around 66% of people play video games to unwind, relax, and decompress.
Moreover, 55% of those surveyed said they also use video games to “fill time while taking a break, waiting or commuting.” For 51%, video games are a way to escape and be highly entertained.
Interesting gaming facts tell us that 48% also use video games to spend some time alone. Solving problems and being comforted by something familiar are other popular reasons.
13. The US video game market is worth $95.4 billion.
(Source: IBIS World)
This figure indicates a $10 billion jump from the previous year ($85 billion), while in 2019, the market was worth around $76 billion.
Experts put the growth rate at 11.2% for 2022, and numbers indicate that the market will continue to grow in the years to come.
14. 65% of US gamers play video games with other people.
Most gamers like playing with friends, and 42% said they do just that. Around 27% of people who play with others stated they play with their spouse or partner. Fun gaming facts tell us that only 7% said they play with their parents, and 24% said they play with other family members.
15. 228 physical versions of games were released in the US in 2021.
(Source: Game Spot)
Unfortunately, this figure represents an ongoing trend in the industry. In fact, there were only 236 physical titles released in 2020. However, to gain some insight into how the industry is changing, the number of games released physically in 2008 was 1,267.
If you’re interested to learn if more men play video games than women or how old the average gamer is, keep scrolling!
16. 55% of US gamers were male in 2021.
This stat comes from an online survey of 4,000 respondents between 2006 and 2021. What’s more, 45% of gamers in the US were female in 2021, which was up from just 41% the previous year.
17. 38% of all gamers in the US are between 18 and 34.
Video gaming demographics indicate that right behind this age group are those18 and under, who account for 20% of gamers. Those that are between 35 and 44 years old make up 14%. Unsurprisingly, people 65 or older only make up 7% of the respondents surveyed.
18. More than two-thirds of all moms are gamers.
(Source: Activision Blizzard)
Gamer moms think that entertainment technology improves their mood compared to non-gamer moms. Plus, they believe that they can stay more connected to their kids and relate to them by playing games.
Fun Gaming Facts About Europe
France leads in gaming numbers, but what other European nations play video games? Continue reading to find out!
19. Over 51 million people in Europe began playing video games during the pandemic.
It seems as though the gaming habits we developed during the pandemic and ensuing lockdown are here to stay!
In fact, recent gaming trends put the total number of gamers in Europe at around 330 million and predict that by 2023 the number will jump to more than 350 million.
20. France’s number of new gamers increased by 41% during the pandemic.
France was the country with the most considerable increase in gamers. Other European countries with high numbers were the UK (28%) and Germany (23%).
21. 47% of all European video game players are women.
Furthermore, the average age of a female gamer is 32. Plus, women account for 32% of all tablet and mobile video game players.
Among other cool gaming facts, a new study found that girls who play games are three times more likely to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
Overall, people enjoy gaming because it relaxes and challenges them while bringing them closer to friends and family. Video games also gave a lot of use for having something to do during the lockdowns caused by the pandemic.
While there are many positives to playing video games, it’s also crucial that you limit your time doing so to avoid any gaming disorder.
How can gaming statistics be used?
(Source: Into Indie Games)
Gaming statistics can help us learn about people’s habits. For instance, then can give game developers insights into which games are most popular and what kind of games are beloved by different categories of people.
What is the percentage of gamers?
(Source: Give Me Sport)
Around 3.1 billion people, or nearly 40% of the world’s population, play video games. Moreover, half of the total number are mobile gamers. In fact, only about 8% of the 3.1 billion play on a console.
How many people played mobile games in 2021?
According to gaming statistics, around 2.6 billion people played mobile games worldwide in 2021. Asia was the region with the most mobile gamers with over 1.2 billion, and Europe was second with approximately 550 million.
- Activision Blizzard
- Business Insider
- Finances Online
- Game Spot
- Game Quitters
- Game Quitters
- Give Me Sport
- IBIS World
- Into Indie Games
- Mordor Intelligence
- Play Today
- World Health Organization