Videos have become important tools for information sharing, and their use in marketing is gaining traction. Their popularity continues to expand as it becomes easier to view videos on more advanced smartphones. As viewing rates increase, promoting products and services through video becomes an even more effective tactic for marketers. In order to develop effective marketing strategies, it’s important to know the latest facts and statistics about video marketing. The following statistics have been compiled to demonstrate the relationship between videos and marketing strategies:
The Top Video Marketing Statistics (Editor’s Choice)
- 55% of people watch at least one video online every day.
- Around 33% of online activity is spent watching videos.
- 40% of millennials go to YouTube for their content, and 60% of them say that the videos they’ve watched impacted their world view.
- Over 500 million people watch videos on Facebook daily!
- Every minute, over 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube.
- The online video statistics show that 99% of the businesses that used video in 2017 intended to keep doing so in the coming years.
- 59.9% of all video views come from mobile devices.
- 26% of people looked for more information about the subject of a video after they finished viewing it.
- 95% of people have viewed an explainer video online to learn more about a business’s product.
- Facebook reports that users spend over 3 times longer watching a live video when compared with static content.
1. 55% of people watch at least one video online every day.
(Digital Information World)
The number of people who view video content is on the rise. In many ways, it’s much more engaging than text and other forms of content. As we’ll see later, video also compels viewers to share, which creates better buzz.
2. 50% of users between 18 and 34 years old said they’d interrupt their activities to watch a new video from a creator they like.
Half of the users in the 18–34 demographic said they’re willing to stop what they’re doing in order to watch a new video from their favorite content creator. These video stats show the influence video creators have over their fans or followers.
3. 82% of Twitter users have viewed video content on the platform.
If we consult the latest Twitter statistics, we’re looking at 221.07 million users. That’s a huge number of Twitter users who can be reached with the right video campaign and content.
4. Around 33% of online activity is spent watching videos.
That means there’s a 1 in 3 chance that a person online is watching a video. Video popularity keeps increasing because it’s more interactive and engaging than text.
5. Millennials aged 25–34 watch the most online videos.
Research shows that this age group consumes online videos more than any other. What’s more, after someone watches a video they find interesting, they’ll often share it with their peers.
6. In the US, 85% of people using the internet watch videos online.
Online video consumption statistics like this can be leveraged for marketing to US consumers—video is an excellent way to advertise to them. In addition, they could be watching video content on any of their devices, leaving marketers with the opportunity to choose which platform they think will be best.
7. More video content gets uploaded in a single month than what was produced in 30 years by the major US television networks.
The ease of producing video content has led to video marketing statistics like the one above. It’s amazing considering the amount of content television networks have been churning out for years. There’s so much content produced daily, consumers are used to interacting with a large range of brands.
8. 72% of internet users would rather find a tutorial video than read up on a particular topic.
(Digital Information World)
This particular video engagement stat serves as a valuable reminder that videos—even marketing videos—can also be explanatory and detailed, sometimes more so than text. Because of the nature of videos, their content is easier to remember than a written article, so it’s the preferred choice for learning about a particular subject.
9. If they like a brand’s video, 83% of consumers said they would consider sharing it with friends.
Whenever someone finishes watching a video they found insightful and exciting, they’re compelled to share it with their friends or peers. Video marketing statistics like this one show how marketers can use this to create awareness about a brand, increase engagement, and drive ROI values higher.
10. Around 60% of people would rather watch videos on an online platform instead of live TV.
Television consumption has been declining every year, which doesn’t necessarily mean that viewing rates have declined. There’s a good chance that people are still watching their favorite programs online instead of on live TV.
11. 54% of consumers want to see more video-based marketing content.
Consumers are interested in seeing videos from the brands or products they like. These video marketing statistics demonstrate that marketers should proactively record and produce video content for their consumer’s needs. Industry influencers say video content is in high demand because there’s a greater chance of people paying attention to it.
12. Users spend an average of 88% more time on websites that have video content.
People tend to spend a long time on a website if there’s a video there to keep them engaged and interested. Thanks to the video marketing statistics from 2018 that Forbes published, we have a good reminder that every website needs at least one video to keep users interested.
13. Viewers absorb 95% of a video’s content.
Meanwhile, viewers retain only 10% of a message when reading in a text-based format. With such a vast difference, the value of video marketing is unquestionable.
14. Users watch over a billion hours of video on YouTube every day.
(Digital Information World)
That’s a lot of time just for one single website. If we look at the yearly video consumption, the numbers are even more fascinating. The YouTube stats show that people collectively watch over 46,000 years worth of content on YouTube annually. The video stats from 2018 focusing on YouTube show that if enough engaging content is created, people will spend a lot of time watching it. With numbers like this, one can hardly talk about video marketing without discussing YouTube. With this in mind, we’ll dive into this platform next, since it’s one of the best places for a brand to get noticed.
15. Youtube has more than 1.5 billion users every month.
(Search Engine Journal)
This is huge. With these numbers, it’s no wonder YouTube is essentially the second largest search engine.
16. In the US, 18% of adults go to YouTube for their news.
YouTube comes in just second behind Facebook on the list of social networking sites US adults use to get their news. Major brands such as Cisco, Microsoft, and HP also use it to share their press releases. Video content statistics show that YouTube is the preferred choice for 18% of adults to get their news.
17. Individual creators and influencers are responsible for 92% of branded YouTube videos.
Influencers control most of the branded videos on YouTube. In fact, YouTube influencers can be an excellent resource for marketers to partner with.
18. 65% of people use YouTube to help them solve a problem.
(Think with Google)
Be honest, how many of you have gone to YouTube for directions on how to do something, like fixing something in the house that broke? The platform’s popular how-to videos are usually self-explanatory and easy to understand.
19. More than half of all YouTube videos are watched on mobile devices.
What percentage of video views on YouTube comes from mobile devices? Because of the convenience and ease of use of mobile devices, more than half of all views on YouTube are via mobile. This means in order to effectively use videos for marketing, they should be optimized to appear well on mobile devices.
20. According to YouTube, their mobile video view rates double every year.
Stats like this show that more and more people consider YouTube the go-to place to find videos. This is linked to the convenience of watching mobile videos on the go.
21. Users watch 40 minutes of YouTube videos a day on average.
The above stat is especially true among the 18–49 age group, and among women.
And that’s enough about YouTube, even though we could go on and on. As you may well know, YouTube isn’t the only website that provides video-related services. There’s so much more out there concerning the topic in question, and next up, we’ll take a peek at some of them.
Video Search Statistics
22. 22% of people have visited the website featured in a video ad they saw.
After watching video ads, research shows that 22% of people became interested enough to search for the website named in the ad. This shows that the ad has performed its objective, leaving the viewer wanting more information.
23. The chances of a website being on the front page of Google increases by 53 times if it has a video.
Video marketing stats like the one above happen because videos improve your website’s SEO. This, in turn, improves how well your site ranks in a search. So if you want your website or brand to be found easily when related keywords are used, it’s essential to include videos on your website.
24. Putting a video on a landing page can potentially increase conversion rates by 80%.
Videos make people stay longer on your site, and they help them understand your message and brand better. Videos also create a sense of trust, especially when the video includes visuals of the company and its employees.
25. Videos increase organic search traffic on a website by 157%.
For both desktop and mobile, the video browsing stats show that videos increase search traffic on a website at the impressive rate of 157%. This is because search engines prioritize videos when releasing search results.
26. 85% of Facebook videos are viewed with the sound off, but 60% of Instagram Stories are viewed with the sound on.
These Facebook video stats show that when creating videos for Facebook, all important information should be written on the screen. If information is shared via audio only, most of your audience will miss it.
Meanwhile, for Instagram, important information can be passed on with audio since there’s a greater likelihood of the viewer hearing it.
27. 65% of viewers skip online video ads once the video allows it.
A lot of people skip online video ads the first chance they get, so it’s necessary to grab their attention as quickly as possible. The video should be creative, entertaining, and interesting enough to make the viewer stay and watch the full ad. Video advertising stats show it’s vital that ads in this format get straight to the point.
28. 71% of people watch more videos online than they did just a year ago.
With the added attention online video marketing is getting, videos are becoming more enlightening and entertaining. This makes people feel more encouraged to watch this content. The data continues to demonstrate that video advertising is gaining more traction, as we can see in the video marketing statistics from 2018 like this one.
29. Shorter videos—i.e., those under 2 minutes long—have the most engagement.
A recurring theme here: users are more receptive to short videos that make their point fast. Because most people have a short attention span, when creating videos, it’s important to make sure all the important information is delivered to the viewer in less than two minutes for maximum effect.
Video Advertising and Video Marketing Stats
Here are some stats that will help you understand how videos could serve as a goldmine for marketers and advertisers.
30. 87% of marketing professionals include video in their marketing strategy.
Video marketing reached a peak in 2018. It’s no wonder more businesses are eager to include it in their marketing strategy for the coming years. In fact, any marketer ignoring the power of video marketing, which is one of the top SEO trends for 2020, will lose out on the opportunities it entails.
31. Videos attract about 300% more traffic to a site.
This video marketing stat shows video is always an advantage to a site. When a complicated technology or service needs to be explained, it’s often easier to use video marketing for this task. This has noticeably improved traffic to sites as consumers are encouraged to come back for more helpful information.
32. 7 out of 10 marketers optimize their videos for SEO.
This makes their videos easier to find when searched online. Video statistics like this one show that to stay ahead of the competition, marketers need to help users locate specific videos for the brands and products they’re interested in.
33. Marketers who use video see 66% more qualified leads.
Every brand needs an effective video marketing strategy. Using various video marketing techniques, businesses can educate consumers about their brand or their products through interesting visuals. This helps customers trust companies more and feel closer to them. Video usage statistics like this one remind marketers about the benefits they’ll see when they incorporate video into their strategy.
34. Click rates increase by 300% when videos are added to emails.
When using e-mails to reach out to consumers, videos can be incorporated to make it more entertaining. Adding videos can potentially increase the chances of the links being clicked by over 300%.
35. 65% of executives will go to a brand’s site after watching a relevant video.
Video marketing stats from 2018 show that executives are receptive to video marketing and notice the ads that run with videos. Younger executives are more engaged with this kind of marketing and are more likely to contact a potential vendor or respond to the ad.
36. Mobile devices are the source of 58% of website visits.
We already know that there are more site visits on mobile phones when videos are included on the site. However, when people visit a site from their desktop, they stay on the site longer, which means they’re more engaged in this case. So when optimizing videos for mobile, don’t forget about desktop users.
B2B Video Marketing Statistics
37. 73% of B2B marketers find that video helps their ROI.
Video marketing has shown a considerable increase in ROI when used effectively. This encourages more businesses and marketers to utilize videos for advertising. Compared with the cost of creation, videos have proven to be an effective way to reach people.
38. 96% of B2B companies want to use video in their content marketing.
(Social Media Today)
More companies want more content from industry thought leaders. Video engagement stats also show that it keeps people on a business’s site longer. Video can help them share their views and control the conversation.
If you use video marketing, it’s important to modify your strategy to reflect the above stats so you can stay ahead of your competition. These stats will also help you measure your growth and see how your video marketing campaign works in your overall marketing strategy.
Video marketing is a great way to engage your consumer base and attract new customers. The video marketing statistics above demonstrate some of the best methods to maximize your reach and gain new ground.
List of Sources:
- Digital Information World
- Chip Thompson
- Digital Information World
- Think with Google
- Search Engine Journal
- Think with Google
- Video Brewery
- Conversion XL
- Blue Corona
- Social Media Today