Published: October 18, 2022
Our selection of Xbox statistics will clearly illustrate that, since its initial release, Xbox has become quite impressive. Over the years, Xbox had incredible sales, primarily thanks to various consoles and game titles that have entertained millions of people across the world.
So, let’s examine what’s driving its success and what the console’s future holds.
Editor’s Choice Xbox Facts and Statistics
- The idea of the Xbox was first conceived in 1998.
- As of July 2022, 85.8 million Xbox 360s have been sold around the world.
- Xbox sales earned Microsoft around $750 million in the first season after release.
- The best-selling Xbox game is Halo 2.
- The most popular Xbox One game is Grand Theft Auto V.
- Xbox’s fastest-selling consoles are the Series X and S.
- In the UK, about 310,000 Xbox Series consoles were sold in 2020.
- In 2022, $60.8 billion will be earned from game consoles.
- In 2020, 47.5% of households owning an Xbox One also had a PS4.
- The Microsoft Kinect is the fastest-selling device ever.
General Xbox Stats and Facts
There’s a lot to learn about one of the most popular console brands in history. But first, we should look at some of the sales figures, which Xbox game is the most popular, and so on.
1. Only about 123,000 Xbox systems were sold in Japan during its first week of release in 2002.
After a spectacular debut in North America, Microsoft expected the Xbox to generate the same amount of excitement in Japan and Europe. However, the system failed to catch on in either market.
Original Xbox facts reveal that it was reduced in price from $299 to $199 two months after its launch on April 18, 2002.
2. The idea of the Xbox was first conceived in 1998.
The DirectX Box was supposed to be the first game console built like a PC. Also, Windows 2000 was to be its operating system, which would make traditional PC program developers’ jobs easier while working on the product.
3. Xbox sales earned Microsoft around $750 million in the first season after release.
From conception to launch, the company’s first video game console took just 20 months. Xbox sales numbers show that 1.5 million units were sold in its inaugural season, and it helped Microsoft gain a valuable advantage in the gaming world.
4. As of July 2022, 85.8 million Xbox 360s have been sold around the world.
(Source: Statista Xbox 360 Sales)
North America performed exceptionally well, with 47.17 million units. With 25.08 million sold units, Europe came in second. Finally, 1.66 million units were sold in Japan, and 11.9 million were sold in the rest of the world.
5. The global Game Pass membership base reached a new high of around 25 million in January 2022.
(Source: Statista Game Pass Subscribers)
Game Pass is an Xbox tiered subscription program with many benefits, so it’s no surprise it’s a hit. The number of Xbox users with a subscription continues to rise; it had about 10 million subscribers in April 2020 and 15 million in September of the same year.
Just a few months later, in January 2021, the number rose to 18 million subscribers.
6. The best-selling Xbox game is Halo 2.
Halo 2 is the best-selling original Xbox game, with 8.46 million copies sold. Halo: Combat Evolved comes in second with about 5 million sales, and Sneak King is in third place, with around 3.2 million sales.
Xbox Game Statistics
After looking at the general stats, we should examine the most interesting statistics dealing with specific games.
Here are the essentials.
7. The most expensive Xbox game is NBA Elite 11.
(Source: TheGamer / Gamerant)
NBA Elite 11 is now one of the most sought-after titles for the console, with some versions fetching up to $30,000 on the secondary market. The second most expensive Xbox game is Dead Space.
The Ultra Limited Edition of this game cost $150 when published in 2008. However, eBay vendors are now asking between $8,500 and $12,900 for the Dead Space Ultra Limited Edition, further driving its price.
While this is far from the most expensive item ever sold on eBay, which cost $168 million, it’s by no means among the cheaper ones. If you want to know what is the most expensive video game overall, it’s a sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. from 1985, which sold for $2 million.
8. The most popular Xbox One game is Grand Theft Auto V.
(Source: Statista GTA V)
Gameplay and usage statistics for Xbox One show that Grand Theft Auto V is the console’s most popular game, with more than 8.72 million copies sold worldwide. As of August 2020, around 4.7 million copies had been sold in North America alone.
In addition, 3.25 million copies have been sold in Europe, and 0.76 million copies were sold in the rest of the world.
While that might not seem so impressive if you know that Minecraft sold over 238 million copies since its introduction, remember that the numbers for GTA V are for Xbox One only.
9. In 2021, the retail value of free games granted to Xbox Live Gold users was $1,074.51.
(Source: Statista Games with Gold)
According to Xbox Live statistics, the total retail value of free games granted was $1,029 in 2017, $850 in 2018, $1,197 in 2019, and $1,083 in 2020. While a slight downward trend is noticeable, the decline hasn’t been so steep to turn away subscribers.
Xbox Player Demographics
Interested in learning more about Xbox? Here’s some info dealing with player demographic profiles. Keep reading.
10. Most Xbox One owners have annual household incomes ranging from $50,000 to $100,000
Households that own Xbox One and earn $75,000–$10,000 account for 21% of the total, while another 21% is made up of households that make $50,000–$75,000.
The console is a great home entertainment device, and 56% of Xbox One users share it with their spouse or partner. Given that 65% of US gamers play video games with others, this comes as no surprise.
11. Xbox stats show that watching movies and shows accounts for 35% of Xbox One weekly console usage in the US.
A further 31% of Xbox owners use their consoles for online gaming, while 19% play offline. Other activities on Xbox One account for only 15% of total usage.
12. According to a 2017 survey, 23% of Xbox One players in the US live with their parents.
In addition, 56% of those polled are married or living with a partner, and 10% are single. Female players make up 42% of Xbox owners from the survey’s 2,000 participants.
Microsoft Xbox Sales Statistics
Are you interested in knowing more about the numbers around Xbox sales? Everything about one of the most popular consoles and how many units were sold worldwide can be found here.
13. Xbox’s fastest-selling consoles are the Series X and S.
As of June 30, 2021, Microsoft stated that overall Xbox Series X and S sales had topped 6.5 million. In comparison, the Xbox One had 5.7 million sales in a similar timespan, and the Xbox 360 had 5 million.
However, PlayStation had even more impressive numbers, with PS5 selling 3.4 million consoles in the first month after launch.
14. In the UK, about 310,000 Xbox Series consoles were sold in 2020.
According to Xbox statistics, the Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles sold roughly 600,000 units. It’s estimated that a total of 3 million consoles were sold in the UK in 2020, with 1.5 million being Nintendo Switch and 450,000 PS5. The year before, Xbox One sold 500,000 units.
15. It’s estimated that 2,345,975 Xbox consoles have been sold in Japan.
Out of this 2.3 million, around 1,616,128 are Xbox 360 sales, 472,992 Xbox sales, and 142,024 Xbox Series X/S sales. Dead or Alive 3, Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope, and Tales of Vesperia are the top-selling Xbox games in Japan.
16. The available Xbox statistics indicate that 47.5% of households with an Xbox One in 2020 had a PS4 too.
Additionally, 27.4% had a PlayStation 4 Pro. In comparison, 32.2% of PlayStation 4 owners also had an Xbox One, while 18.5% owned an Xbox One X. This might be one of the reasons for the overall impressive PlayStation stats.
17. In 2022, $60.8 billion will be earned from game consoles.
Console demand has risen dramatically over the years. This development could be attributed to the increased popularity of video games as a form of at-home entertainment.
According to Microsoft Xbox sales statistics, revenue from console sales amounted to $43 billion in 2018 and $55.2 billion in 2021.
18. Microsoft’s Xbox Games with Gold service is accessible in 41 different countries.
Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, and many more are on the list of countries. Microsoft plans to grow soon so that more subscribers can enjoy the benefits of Xbox Games with Gold.
19. Microsoft Kinect is the fastest-selling device ever.
Kinect is a body-tracking infrared camera add-on for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 game platform. Between November 4th, 2010, and January 3rd, 2021, Microsoft sold 8 million Kinect sensor units.
No other consumer electronics gadget sold quicker in the first 60 days, which is not surprising if we consider the available virtual reality statistics indicating the popularity of VR and AR devices.
20. Xbox Live Gold’s monthly membership is $9.99.
(Source: XboxNews / Xbox)
Xbox users can also save some money by getting a 3-month subscription for $24.99. While 6-month and 12-month plans also used to be available, they no longer are, possibly because of the upcoming changes to the platform.
To Wrap Up
The gaming industry is intensely competitive, with only a few significant players battling for their portion of the market.
Xbox will be a big part of the future, that’s for sure. The types of players and their numbers are constantly changing, and it will be interesting to see what’s ahead for Xbox.
How do you check hours played on Xbox?
The procedure is rather basic — on Xbox consoles, press the Xbox button to launch the guide, then select the Game Activity. Following that, click All Achievements and then Stats.
To check your time spent playing on the web, you should sign in to your account (account.xbox.com), click on your gamerpic, and select Xbox Profile, Achievements.
After selecting a game, select Achievements. Among the numbers displayed will be your minutes played.
What are some interesting facts about the Xbox?
Here are some quick facts about this console that you might be interested in:
- Face recognition is a feature of the Xbox One’s Kinect.
- More than 300,000 servers power the Xbox One. This is greater than the total number of servers worldwide in 1999.
- Microsoft built around 200 prototypes of the Xbox 360 controller for the Xbox One.
How many Xbox users are there?
(Source: Statista Active Users)
Xbox Live set a new user record with about 100 million monthly active users as of December 2020, up from 65 million in the fourth quarter of 2019.
According to Xbox statistics, in the first quarter of 2016, Xbox Live had 39 million users.
- Statista Active Users
- Statista Game Pass Subscribers
- Statista Games with Gold
- Statista GTA V
- Statista Xbox 360 Sales