Published: October 20, 2022
If you have never thought about Twitch statistics like revenue and watch time, you might be in for a surprise. Twitch is a livestreaming platform focusing on video games. It was founded by Justin Kan in 2011 as a spin-off of Justin.tv.
Streaming games wasn’t the original idea, but after seeing how many users wanted to use the platform for that purpose, Justin.tv gaming category morphed into Twitch.tv.
We’ve cast a wide net to bring you all of the most exciting and informative stats and facts, so read on to learn more.
Top 10 Twitch Stats and Facts
- Twitch has more than 11 million streaming channels.
- Twitch had 7,115,865 streamers in September 2022.
- Twitch.tv recorded a 129.82% increase in website traffic during the pandemic.
- The gaming market is predicted to reach $339.95 billion by 2027.
- In May 2022, 49.7% of Twitch users worldwide were in the age group of 25–34.
- 99% of the top 100 Twitch and YouTube streamers in Q2 2022 were male.
- Twitch streamer Ninja has the most followed channel on the platform.
- Gaming streams were the most popular Twitch content in 2021 in the US.
- In January 2021, people spent more than 2 billion hours on Twitch.
- Twitch generated over $2.6 billion in revenue in 2021.
General Twitch Statistics
Twitch is the most popular interactive livestreaming service for content spanning gaming, music, sports, entertainment, and more. There’s something for everyone on Twitch!
Read on to find out some stats and facts about the livestreaming service.
1. The US is the largest Twitch market, with about 20.5% of all desktop web traffic.
The US is the top country sending desktop traffic to Twitch. Next in line with the highest number of viewers is Germany (6.78%), followed by Korea (5.27%) and Russia (4.42%). France is also in the top five with 4.27%.
2. Twitch channel statistics show that it has more than 11 million streaming channels.
Naturally, not all channels attract the same amount of attention. While many streamers struggle to reach milestones such as 100 followers, the largest channels have millions of subscribers.
3. Twitch had 7,115,865 streamers in September 2022.
(Source: TwitchTracker Twitch Total Streamers)
The number of streamers reached a record high in January 2021, when there were 9,894,745 of them on the platform. There are around 1,138,341 active streamers daily, but this number constantly fluctuates.
4. Twitch.tv recorded a 129.82% increase in website traffic between January 2020 and March 2021.
Twitch numbers show that the website grew in popularity as a source of entertainment as more people stayed home because of the pandemic.
DuckDuckGo.com and Instructure.com were also among the top five sites with the biggest traffic increases. Firmly in the first place was Zoom.us, recording an over 2,000% increase in website traffic in the same period.
5. During the Q2 of 2022, Twitch was downloaded 6 million times by Android users globally.
(Source: Statista Twitch Downloads)
During the same period, Android users in Brazil generated 660,305 downloads. According to Twitch user statistics, the app was downloaded 658,960 times in the US, while the number of downloads in Russia was 632,665.
The top five countries also included Egypt, with 320,107 downloads, and Mexico, with 301,613.
Needless to say, it will be among the 184 billion apps predicted to be downloaded in 2024.
6. Twitch had 51,500 partners worldwide in 2021.
(Source: Statista Twitch Partners)
To increase its revenue, the platform implemented a Twitch Partner program, which grants members access to extra features like special promotions and the ability to customize channels.
Twitch stats show that the number of Twitch Partners reached 13,500 in 2015, when it started increasing at a much faster pace.
7. The gaming market is predicted to reach $339.95 billion by 2027.
(Source: Mordor Intelligence)
In 2021, it was valued at $198.4 billion, and over 3.2 billion people played video games in the same year. Moreover, the gaming market is expected to grow at an 8.94% CAGR between 2022 and 2027. Undoubtedly, Twitch will be among those that will benefit from it.
Despite the constantly increasing demand, the competition in the market is very intense, especially when it comes to consoles. For instance, 84% of countries choose the PlayStation 5 instead of the Xbox Series X.
8. In 2021, Twitch generated over $2.6 billion in revenue.
(Source: Business of Apps)
In 2020, the livestreaming platform earned over $1.8 billion, meaning that the 2021 numbers represent a 41% year-on-year increase, while in 2019, it generated over $1.2 billion.
Twitch User Demographics
Twitch grew rapidly after its initial launch in 2011. In this section, you’ll read some impressive stats and facts about its users.
9. Twitch has 140 million monthly active users.
Within its first year, when Twitch debuted as a livestreaming service specializing in gaming and eSports, it had 3.2 million monthly users. Now, there are 30 million unique daily active users.
Amazon paid $970 million in 2014 to acquire Twitch. Considering Amazon’s success, this isn’t surprising. After all, Amazon’s net sales amounted to $112.48 billion in 2018.
10. Twitch statistics show that 49.7% of the platform’s users worldwide belong to the age group of 25–34 as of May 2022.
(Source: Statista Twitch User Age)
Users in this age group accounted for the biggest share of Twitch users. Additionally, 22.3% of users belong to the age group of 16–24, while only 7.4% are users between the ages of 45 to 54 years.
11. As of July 2022, 79.8% of Twitch users were male worldwide.
(Source: Statista Twitch User Gender / Backlinko)
So that means that only 20.2% were female. While these numbers have been changing over time, the shifts haven’t been too drastic. For instance, Twitch demographics for 2017 show that, at the time, 81.5% of the platform’s users were male.
12. A staggering 99% of the top 100 Twitch and YouTube streamers in Q2 2022 were male.
Amouranth, the only female among the top Twitch streamers, was ranked 56th. Both Amouranth and xQc streamed for roughly the same amount of time. xQc received 70.6 million hours of viewership, while Amouranth received 8.2 million hours.
If you’re interested in gaming and streaming, you should know that the RAM needed for most games is at least 8GB, and the required RAM for streaming on Twitch is also 8GB. So, typically, having 16GB RAM should be enough for gaming and streaming.
13. Twitch streamer Ninja has the most followed channel on the platform.
Twitch channel analytics show that with about 18.4 million followers on his Twitch channel, Richard Tyler Blevins, or, as his fans know him, Ninja, tops the list of the most followed Twitch streamers.
When he moved to the platform Mixer, he ended the partnership with Twitch, but he returned to Twitch after Mixer was dissolved. From playing video games, Ninja makes between $500,000 and $1 million monthly, while his annual estimated earnings are $25 million.
Second on the list is Auronplay, with 14 million followers. Next are Rubius, ibai, and xQc, with 12.8 million, 11.7 million, and 11.2 million followers, respectively.
Twitch Viewer Statistics
The average screen time for internet-related activities worldwide is 6 hours and 55 minutes. In this section, you’ll find out how much time viewers have spent on the platform and other interesting stats and facts about Twitch users.
14. In the second quarter of 2022, there were 5.64 billion hours watched on Twitch.
(Source: Statista Twitch Hours Watched)
This figure was an 8% decrease from the previous quarter’s total of 6.13 billion hours. Twitch viewership peaked in Q2 2021, when the platform recorded 6.51 billion hours watched, but the numbers have mostly been going down since.
Of course, you shouldn’t take this as an indication of overall trends since the gaming industry isn’t stopping any time soon — there are estimations that there will be 2.95 billion video gamers worldwide by the end of 2022.
15. There were over 2.3 billion watched hours per month in May 2021.
(Source: TwitchTracker Twitch Watch Time)
According to Twitch stream statistics, monthly watch time consistently increases yearly, with some peaks here and there. For example, the number of monthly hours didn’t exceed 2 billion until January 2021, when it reached almost 2.2 billion.
After February 2020, people spent significantly more time at home due to the pandemic, which aided the platform’s growth.
16. Gaming streams were the most popular Twitch content in 2021 in the US.
(Source: Statista Top Twitch Streams)
Some 82% of Twitch users in the US watched gaming session streams. The most popular games are League of Legends, Fortnite, and Minecraft, the best-selling video game, with 238 million copies sold.
Music came in second place, with 49%. Next were eSports, with 38%, and live sports, with 21%.
17. TheGrefg had over 2.4 million concurrent views in January 2021.
(Source: Digital TV Europe)
Twitch streaming statistics show that the Spanish gamer David Martinez achieved record viewership in January 2021. Fortnite, a popular game, collaborated with the Spanish streamer to create a custom game skin.
On the 11th of January, viewers were waiting for the streamer to reveal his customized Fortnite skin during the stream. TheGrefg is only the eighth player to receive the honor, and the reveal is a spectacle in the gaming world.
Martinez also held the previous record for concurrent viewers, reaching 660,000 live viewers in 2020. Before him, Ninja was the record holder.
18. In January 2021, people spent more than 2 billion hours on Twitch.
For comparison, one of Twitch’s major competitors, Facebook Gaming, had 439 million hours of time watched. This increase in viewership boosted the popularity of many titles, including Rust, which saw a 1,226% increase in total hours watched monthly.
19. Fextralife was the most popular streaming channel in August 2022.
(Source: Statista Twitch Channels)
The video streaming service allows gaming and eSports fans to watch their favorite gamers compete in many different video games. Twitch viewer count stats show that Fextralife had 2.15 billion lifetime views in August 2021.
20. The most watch hours were recorded by xQc in January 2021.
People spent approximately 25 million hours watching the Canadian streamer. With 15 million hours, AuronPlays came in second.
Twitch is the most popular gaming streaming platform, showing no signs of slowing down soon. It controls a significant portion of the market and is predicted to grow even more.
So, whether you’re new to streaming or looking for ways to increase your viewership, we hope you’ve enjoyed learning about Twitch streamers and their audiences.
How many people used Twitch in 2021?
(Source: Business of Apps)
Twitch had 2.78 million concurrent viewers on average in 2021, a 31% increase over 2020. The number of concurrent viewers increased by 68% the previous year.
How many people are watching Twitch on average?
More than 2.5 million people watch Twitch streams on average at any given time. And 8 million unique creators are streaming each month.
- Business of Apps
- Digital TV Europe
- Mordor Intelligence
- Statista Top Twitch Streams
- Statista Twitch Channels
- Statista Twitch Downloads
- Statista Twitch Hours Watched
- Statista Twitch Partners
- Statista Twitch User Age
- Statista Twitch User Gender
- TwitchTracker Twitch Subs Count
- TwitchTracker Twitch Total Streamers
- TwitchTracker Twitch Watch Time